(Source: SailPoint Technologies, Inc. Identity and Access Management Buyers Guide)
“We’ve lost visibility and control over applications in the cloud. We’re not even sure about what’s out there.”
As enterprises accelerate their adoption of the cloud, they must cope with the challenges of managing a hybrid IT environment where some applications reside on-premises and some reside in the cloud. Adding to the complexity of this environment, business units are gaining more autonomy to buy and deploy applications — which can often house sensitive, corporate data — without consulting or involving the IT organization.
Signs that your organization is struggling to manage new cloud applications include:
- IT is not fully aware of the mission-critical cloud applications in production across various departments and business units
- Business units are performing their own user administration via spreadsheets and manual updates
- Business units are requesting that IT integrate cloud applications with directories for periodic synchronization
- Business units are purchasing their own identity and access management solutions — without consulting IT or considering what IAM infrastructure is already in place
- IT audit processes, such as access certifications, have not been extended to cover cloud applications
A proper identity and access management solution should help enterprises embrace the cloud while at the same time allowing the IT organization to effectively apply centralized security policy, detect violations and demonstrate full regulatory compliance. Successful IAM solutions will allow you to automate compliance and provisioning processes for cloud applications in the same manner as on-premises applications. At the same time, it should provide end users with convenient access to cloud applications and empower them with single sign-on from any device — at work, home or on the go with mobile devices.
Check back for blog #5, Reduce the Cost of Managing Access Change
Visit SailPoint Technologies, Inc. here.
Learn more about PathMaker Group IAM MAP here.